On July 11, 2023, I completed a happiness exercise to alleviate the debilitating headaches that had been hindering me. In this blog, I’m excited to share this exercise with you, recount my personal journey, and shed light on the valuable lessons I’ve learned about holistic wellness, with a focus on happiness.
The Happiness Exercise
I began my journey by asking four simple questions:
On a scale of 1-10 rate/answer these four questions.
- How happy are you?
- What’s your diet like (fruits/veggies/low carbs)?
- How much quiet time are you getting?
- How much intentional movement are you getting?
For a holistic view of your health, total your scores – aim for over 40. My initial score was a mere 17/40, signaling that a lifestyle change was long overdue. While questions 2 through 4 seemed relatively straightforward to address, it was the first question that required introspection: “What makes me happy?”
Creating Makes Me Happy
I’ve always taken pleasure in turning ideas into reality, but I realized I hadn’t been giving myself the attention I deserved. Stress from my declining business and the monotony of my career had taken a toll. So, I turned to my passions. I embraced art, started blogging about diverse topics, and ventured into teaching through courses and ebooks. My happiness score improved, soaring from 17/40 to 29/40. I’m still working on my diet and finding quiet time, but I’m undeniably happier. Surprisingly, my increased happiness has positively impacted the success of my business.
Happiness Impacts Cashflow
I discovered that happiness plays a crucial role in my productivity and motivation. When I’m unhappy, it’s challenging to focus on marketing and selling, which has a direct impact on my cash flow. The happiness exercise proved to be a pivotal turning point for me.
Finding Your Happiness: Tips for Your Own Journey
Doing a happiness exercise can be a transformative experience, but it’s not always easy to pinpoint what truly brings us joy. If you’re unsure where to start or find yourself grappling with this question, here are some tips to guide you on your path to discovering your happiness:
- Self-Reflection: Begin by setting aside some quiet time for self-reflection. Think about moments in your life when you felt genuinely content, fulfilled, or excited. What were you doing during those times? What activities or interests stood out to you? These reflections can offer valuable clues about what brings you happiness.
- Try New Experiences: Don’t be afraid to explore new activities, hobbies, or interests. Sometimes, happiness is found outside your comfort zone. Sign up for classes, attend workshops, or join groups related to subjects you’ve always been curious about. The process of trying new things can help you discover hidden passions.
- Keep a Journal: Consider starting a happiness journal. Each day, jot down activities or moments that made you feel happy, even if they seem small. Over time, you’ll notice patterns and recurring themes that can provide insights into what genuinely brings you joy.
- Seek Inspiration: Turn to books, podcasts, documentaries, and inspirational figures who share their experiences about finding happiness and purpose in life. Hearing others’ stories may spark ideas and resonate with your own journey.
- Engage in Mindfulness: Practicing mindfulness and meditation can help you become more attuned to your emotions and desires. It allows you to connect with your inner self and gain clarity about what truly matters to you.
- Ask for Feedback: Reach out to friends and loved ones for their perspectives. Sometimes, others can see our passions and strengths more clearly than we can. Ask them what activities or qualities they believe make you happiest.
- Embrace Experimentation: Remember that finding your happiness may involve some trial and error. Be open to experimenting with different activities and adjusting your approach along the way. It’s all part of the journey.
- Be Patient and Kind to Yourself: Discovering what makes you happy is a process that takes time. Be patient with yourself and avoid self-criticism. Treat yourself with the same kindness and understanding you’d offer to a friend on a similar journey.
As you complete your own happiness exercise, keep in mind that the journey itself is a valuable part of the process. It’s about discovering not only what makes you happy but also getting to know yourself on a deeper level. Embrace the adventure, and may your pursuit of happiness lead you to a more fulfilling and joyful life.
About Miss Winn
I’m the founder of Winn Publications, where my personal mission is to empower authors and readers from all backgrounds by providing a platform for diverse perspectives and stories. I believe in prioritizing holistic wellness and self-care to manage anxiety and stress and achieve our full potential. As an advocate in the publishing industry, I also challenge the status quo and promote messages of hope, resilience, and positive change. Check out some of the books I’ve published here!