Choosing the Right Blogging Platform as an Author
So, let’s get started on your journey to choose the right blogging platform—one that can help you overcome the pain point of platform predicaments and unlock the potential for your book marketing and sales success.
Navigating the sea of blogging platforms is quite the journey. While I’ve personally found success with WordPress, I understand the challenge of choosing the right one for your unique needs. I’ve been there, deep in the Google search pages of blog platform decisions, and I understand the struggle. The sheer number of options can be overwhelming, and making the wrong choice could cost you precious time and opportunities.
7 Things to Look for in a Blogging Platform
When it comes to selecting the perfect blogging platform for your author journey, there are a few key factors to keep in mind. Whether you plan to manage your site independently or seek assistance from a web expert, these considerations are crucial:
- User-Friendly Interface: Ensure that the platform is user-friendly and intuitive. You should feel comfortable navigating and making updates without a steep learning curve.
- Customizability: Authors often have unique branding and style preferences. Look for a platform that allows you to customize your site to reflect your personality and author brand.
- Accessibility for Collaboration: If you plan to have someone assist you in building and maintaining your site, check if the platform supports collaborative features. This way, you can work seamlessly with a web professional.
- Scalability: Think about the long-term. A good platform should accommodate your growth as an author. It should be capable of handling increased traffic and content as your readership expands.
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO): To boost your book marketing efforts, look for a platform with SEO features. It will help your content rank well in search engines, increasing your visibility.
- Support and Community: Consider the availability of support and an active user community. Having resources to turn to when you encounter issues or need guidance is invaluable.
- Security:Security is non-negotiable. Ensure that the platform provides necessary security features to protect your site and your readers.
By keeping these factors in mind, you’ll be better equipped to make an informed decision when choosing the right blogging platform. Whether you plan to go solo or enlist professional help, your platform should empower your author journey.
My Experience with WordPress
Let me start by sharing my experience with WordPress, a platform that’s been my trusty companion for a decade.
I must admit though, I do invest money into my website monthly. Here’s the breakdown:
- I use Siteground to host my site. (About $40 / a month – I use their middle tier package)
- I bought my domain name from Siteground. ($12/ annually)
- I set up WordPress on Siteground (and added the Woocommerce shop feature to sell products like my book). (Free)
WordPress has played a vital role in driving traffic to my websites, and I use platforms like Pinterest to further boost this traffic. For me WordPress is best platform. There are tons of free website templates that you can use to create a sleek author website and blog. I know other people would suggest Wix, or Square, or GoDaddy, but I have tried all of those and none of them have passed the test of time. So I stick with WordPress and it’s incredible to see how the right platform can enhance your book marketing efforts.
The Traffic Game
Remember, increased traffic opens doors to greater opportunities for reaching your book marketing and sales objectives. It’s a game-changer. And speaking of games, in my journey, I’ve discovered some effective strategies for increasing traffic, like linking my blogs through YouTube videos, creating a dynamic synergy that propels my content further.
Check Out My Toolbox
I update the Resource page here with what I use.